Tuesday, 29 September 2009

Own Summer Work...

So over the last couple of months I've had a few idea's kickin around in my head, and really needed to do something about them, so I painted a few pieces, that kind of all carry a similar concept...
With this particular series of work, I've grown quite fond of the style I've developed using a background, and carefully selecting and colour that will portray the image successfully, as well as marking out the area where the facial features will come, and just experimenting with paint overlaying....I found the colour white to work really well in most cases to allow me to draw on 'Acrylic' painted backgrounds, and then draw the images with 'Biro', as well as integrating other 'Acrylic' colours into the Portrait. I've pretty much been doing these pictures since the end of my FMP, in a way, i guess it was a good way to break away from 'Style Creep'.

I feel I've been heavily inspired by a few artists in their own individual ways, such as Alex Pardee, Russ Mills, and Dan Mumford, and even H.R Giger in some ways....

'Mark Todd'




















Just a Happy B-day Present for one of my best mates, doing our famous 'Gun' pose lol....

'Intoxication'













I wanted to use a beautiful image, and make it dark and sinister, but at the same time still contain some element of beauty, as though the two would contrast against one another. At the time, a randomly thought of a gas mask, but wanted to somehow integrate it with the face, and the lips came to mind, as it seems to be the most sexual part of the face, as well as one of the main focal points.
This particular piece I felt was heavily inspired by H.R Giger, at the moment I feel quite compelled by the whole industrial scene...


'Piece. By. Piece










I wanted to portray in this image, the sense of coming undone, to jus completely let go of yourself, wether it be your feelings, your identity, perhaps something precious, just anything important to the individual at the time, hence the Jigsaw pieces, the zips, the Keyhole in particular, as though it is an 'Unlocking of the Soul' if you will...


Death In Decadence
(Source Image: Taken by Sheree Fadil 'Thank you :] )














I first saw this image fro my friends photo shoot on facebook, and reminded me of my earlier piece, so I asked her if it was ok to use, and she agreed, so I went on from there..

I wanted to use more unnatural colours in this piece, to emphasis the nature, and the blue image, as well as the orange liquid/cracks of the person really works well against the purple/red/blue background...
I basically, in a nutshell, wanted to portray how the erosion of morals will eventually lead to the end result of death, the erosion contrasting the cracks in the figure, and the crows representing death, the carrier of souls...and the mask, to represent the protection from death and despair..

I think the thought possibly came from 'Dorian Gray' and the title it self, seems to strengthen that concept alot.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I love your imagery, it's quite potent.

    ReplyDelete