Friday, 17 February 2012

Major Project - Artist Research/Influences

I wanted to gather some extensive research into artists that fall into the category of 'Art Nouveau' in order to immerse my self in the style, I know it'll be very difficult to try an imitate so the more reference the better. There are a few that have indeed tickled my fancy in what I'm headed for, so I've compiled images & styles I feel work well and contrast against one another to get a broader range. My first point of call in this project, and who I had in mind to begin with: His originality lies in the way he was able to marry the ornamental design with the figurative painting

Alphonse Mucha:

His originality lies in the way he was able to marry the ornamental design with the figurative painting,based on a strong composition, sensuous curves derived from nature, refined decorative elements and natural colours. One could hesitate to say that the artist saw them as “sex objects”, to use the present-day terminology.




Aubrey Beardsley:

Beardsley's images were executed in ink,  heavily influenced by Japanese woodcuts,featured large dark areas contrasted with large blank ones. He also juxtaposed areas of intense detail with pure white space. His later work has a dark undercurrent, because he also produced perverse images and grotesque erotica.



Gustav Klimt:

Klimt's primary subject was the female body, his works are marked by a frank eroticism, a scandal at his time because of the display of nudity and the subtle sexuality. He saw himself more as a mural painter and decorative artist, using a lot of gold and silver colors in his art work.



Harry Clarke:

Harry Clarke was an incredible illustrator and stained glass artist born in 1889. His work is most comparitive to Aubrey Beardsley, due to its extensive textural lifework and amazing craftsmanship, featuring disturbing/grotesque detailing. Considered on of the many leads in the Arts & Crafts Movement.



Yoshitako Amano:

His influences include Western comic books, art nouveau, and Japanese woodblock prints. In the early 1980s, Amano concentrated on illustrations for science fiction and fantasy works moving the the game industry later. Combined with the influence of his prior experience in animation, this focus resulted in a personal style influenced by both modern surrealism and realism



I wanted to add Yoshitako Amano in here, because I feel I needed a more modern element, that has roots based in this genre, to add a freshness to the style. Most contempary artists tend to 'mimic' the style, instead of adding there own spin on it, so although there are many modern takes, Amano has a uniqueness to his. 

Finally, here is a compilation of the pieces I feel I want to incorporate into my work, these pages helping give a clear route for my Proposal:



No comments:

Post a Comment